Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Readers might try to find meaning in AP article

The National Book Award is awarded tonight. Despite my feelings about Only Revolutions--which, since I finished the book, have settled into what I can best describe as cautiously lukewarm--I'll still be painting my face half green/half gold and stabbing the sky with my huge foam finger with the gigantic "Z" on the palm as I root for Mark Z. Danielewski to take home the prize. Because I'm a big fan of waking up in worlds that make no personal sense anymore.

Timed to the coming award, Andrew Glazer vomits up the following lede:

Mark Z. Danielewski's readers might try to find meaning in his choice of hot chamomile tea on an unusually warm fall day. That's what they do.


No. No, Andrew, that's not what they do. Nor do we "wonder whether the tea's golden hue reflects the eye color of characters in Only Revolutions," nor do we suspect that the "price of the tea — $3.95, without tip or tax — could hint at some numerological clue." Because, for the most part? We're not bat-shit insane.

Hey, speaking of bats, Danielewski's the latest guest on the Bat Segundo show. I haven't listened yet, but I plan on it, because--and this may just be another one of my wild flights of fancy--I'm guessing we get more worthwhile material out of Danielewski in this podcast than we do from the couple quotes of his sprinkled through the Glazer article. From the intro page alone we know that Danielewski claims he's not an experimental writer, which, if you take that to heart, means that experimental writing literally can not exist. Which, if you're comfortable putting experimental writers out of their jobs? You go right ahead. But when you can't walk from your car to your office without having Ben Marcus bugging you for booze money, don't say I didn't warn you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, he drinks hot chamomile tea? I wonder what color cup he prefers and if he puts sugar or milk in it? These are things we must know.

Hey did you know he's Poe's brother? I bet she drinks tea.

Darby M. Dixon III said...

WTF BBQ Dirty dirty gossip blogger!

Anonymous said...

I should have added that his book was sent to me for free.

Darby M. Dixon III said...

Get off my porch. You're not to be trusted.