Saturday, November 11, 2006

Litbloggers vs. The Onion A.V. Club, Part II

Matthew Tiffany is disappointed with The Onion A.V. Club again, and I can't resist a good literary pile-on. They've posted a selection of novels about writers. Let's see if Matt likes the list:

Nope. The A.V. Club dips one small toe into the waters - six books? Between three writers of this article, that was the most they could think of? Not even a "top ten"? We get a lot of obviousness ... and Wonder Boys. Wonder Boys, by Genius Michael Chabon. A decent book, a fine movie, and the only interest-inspiring pick on the list. Disappointing - so many books out there.


I won't pretend I've read all six books--I'm batting less than .500, but only one or two of the others (yeah, the Chabon one) are books I feel I need to read sometime in the next ten years. Still, it's an interesting sub-genre, or field, or whatever you want to call it, far larger than the A.V. Club list makes it seem, and Matt has sent out a call for additional titles for his own list. He's suggested one title already, which I need to read. (I really ought to stop reading his blog until I'm ready to accept new book suggestions.) I've coughed up a handful of titles myself. Request lines, I believe, are still open.

(This post has been brought to you by the four percent of my brain that hasn't been devoted to dealing with The Pynchon Question.)

No comments: