Sunday, August 20, 2006

Reason number kalaboolion I loves me some Stephen Dixon

From Old Friends, which I've just started:

He liked to smell flowers but for years hasn't had the heart to pick them, he said, even in the unmowed small field behind his house. "I don't want to sound sensitive about this, since anyone who knows me will tell you that's one thing I'm not, but years ago I once picked this beautiful tall blue flower to surprise Suzanne with and thought I heard the entire field weep. No, that's gotta be bullcrap. It was no doubt the wind suddenly picking up and blowing through all those wildflowers and tall grass and weeds, and I should've just thought that."


Dixon's stuff, when it's funny, is usually mind-ha-ha funny, not laugh-out-loud funny. But this bit caught me off-guard. Yeah, I laughed out loud.

No comments: