Thursday, August 31, 2006

Golems and watercraeft and cactii and monsters on the mind

It's probably safe to call China Miéville one of my favorite contemporary writers, based on how much I enjoyed Perdido Street Station and The Scar. The Pleasures to Pages ratio in both books--Perdido especially--is both high and favorable. Seems though I do take my time between reading his books. Maybe because there's only a finite number of them, I need to ration them out, lest I get caught in a world in which there are no new China Miéville books for me to read. (Where else am I going to see words like "anamnesis" and "stravager" be both used and cool?)

So maybe my recent reading of Lord of the Rings got fantasy (ahem, "fantasy") back on my mind, then, but since I randomly recommended Perdido to two different friends over the weekend, it seemed like a ripe time to finally attack Iron Council. I'm maybe a quarter through it now and it's different but the same. I can't put my finger on what the difference is yet. Though I know and remember this universe well, he's doing something else here. Whatever that is. Sometimes I worry this is going to bother me, and then right away something amazing happens in the book, and I'm surprised again. Though I know by now I shouldn't be.

Really, gods, I'm just enjoying it a lot.

No comments: