Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Actually I always sort of figured the end of the world would be a barren Texas sunset as soundtracked by Explosions in the Sky, so this is no surprise

To borrow the best phrase I've ever read in a music review: if you had told me right after I finished reading All The Pretty Horses that I'd ever again be interested in reading another Cormac McCarthy book, I'd have told you to pack your bags for an all-expenses-paid trip to my fist. But hey, crazier things have happened, so why not this: Cormac McCarthy's got a new book coming out in September and I'm honestly intrigued.

The premise ("author of those hard-bitten west-Texas narratives" writes story about "the end of the world") doesn't seem so far-fetched to me. When I set aside my disagreements with the Horses (which, I admit, are not of the highest-minded caliber) and focus on what I liked about it, it sort of feels like I've already read the book that's just now coming out. I suspect he'll bring something interesting to the genre. And it makes me curious. So while he won't be cutting to the front of the TBR line, I'm shocked and surprised to say that Cormac McCarthy might find a place somewhere in it again in the next couple months. If we as a people last long enough, that is.

(Via Rake's Progress.)

1 comment:

Jim Eastman said...

I'd say just read some Sam Shepard. You'll get more bang for your buck. :-)