Thursday, September 08, 2005

Thumb drives and smily faces! Hooray!

Editor's note: in the process of writing the following post, I realized that for some reason, I really felt like dropping the f-bomb. A lot. Then it occurred to me that maybe some members of the highly theoretical and likely imaginary TDAOC reading audience (previous link via) might prefer an ounce less profanity in their blog readings. Here at TDAOC HQ, we aim first to kill--because warning shots are bullshit--and second to please. So we've taken the unprecedented step of providing two versions of this post. Call it the black coffee/creamed coffee post, if you will. But hopefully you won't, because that's a damned silly metaphor. So go ahead: make like Indiana Jones and...choose wisely.

The raw, uncut, sex lies and blogiotape version



The latest edition of Bookslut might just be their best fucking edition yet. Though I haven't really checked to see if there are, indeed, fucking tons of profanity. And it might not actually be their best edition, but it's the edition with the most articles that have looked interesting to me since I've started reading the site. Which was, uh, sometime before today. Anyways. There's interviews with Mary Doria Russell and Aimee Bender (neither of whom I've read but who I mean to read and probably will once I read the interviews); reviews of the new Rick Moody book (whose Purple America I once started reading then stopped reading but which I plan to try reading again but for real this time), the new Tod Goldberg collection of short stories (which I plan to buy once I get some damned cash in my pocket), and the new Cory Fucking Doctorow book (whose book I feel I will probably read someday once I get over my grudge against BoingBoing, which I used to read religiously until I woke up and realized I'd read just about as many fucking stories about mash-ups and DRM and re-mixing and how DRM'd mash-up creative commons re-mixes would be the best fucking thing since I put underwear on that morning, at which point I stopped reading because, seriously, fuck); and like a whole bunch of other stuff that looks cool perhaps due to mere proximity to the above directly-to-me-interesting stories. But most importantly (but wait, there's MORE?), an article I've been looking forward to for a while now (or I guess since August 16th or so): Wrapped Up In Books: A Guide to Rock Novels, which is a list of like 50 rock novels, grouped up and classified for your list-devouring enjoyment. Me, I look forward to ordering them all from the library, snorting a line of coke off the back of High Fidelity, and going to mother-fuckin' town. (For professional reasons, of course.)

The everything is pink daffodils and happy puppies version



The latest edition of a website which propagates negative images of the sensual ways in which one might interact with bound collections of paper might just be their best procreation edition yet. Though I haven't really checked to see if there are, indeed, a seriously large procreationary number of tons of profanity. And it might not actually be their best edition, but it's the edition with the most articles that have looked interesting to me since I've started reading the site. Which was, uh, sometime before today. Anyways. There's interviews with Mary Doria Russell and Aimee Bender (neither of whom I've read but who I mean to read and probably will once I read the interviews); reviews of the new Rick Moody book (whose Purple America I once started reading then stopped reading but which I plan to try reading again but for real this time), the new Tod Goldberg collection of short stories (which I plan to buy once I get some !!!! cash in my pocket), and the new Cory who may have known the flesh of another Doctorow book (whose book I feel I will probably read someday once I get over my grudge against BoingBoing, which I used to read with great regularity until I woke up and realized I'd read just about as many OH GOSH DIDDLY GEE! stories about mash-ups and DRM and re-mixing and how DRM'd mash-up creative commons re-mixes would be the best MOTHER LOVE BUCKETS! thing since I put underwear on that morning, at which point I stopped reading because, seriously, I SURE DO ENJOY FUDGE ON MY ICE CREAM); and like a whole bunch of other stuff that looks cool perhaps due to mere proximity to the above directly-to-me-interesting stories. But most importantly (but wait, there's there was no profanity here but this was the point in the original post when I started think, gee, I'm swearing a lot, maybe I should tone that down some, so I guess I feel the need to atone for what might have been bad thought in this space MORE?), an article I've been looking forward to for a while now (or I guess since August 16th or so): Wrapped Up In Books: A Guide to Rock Novels, which is a list of like 50 rock novels, grouped up and classified for your list-devouring enjoyment. Me, I look forward to ordering them all from the library, practicing some intelligent design, and going to get into my car after I finish reading all the books so that I can pick up some milk and sugar from town. (For professional reasons, of course.)

No comments: