Thursday, September 22, 2005

The TBR pile beckons, doth grow

Well, okay, maybe I can flurry it up as much as possible by pointing out that The Onion A.V. Club, which posts book reviews along with reviews of everything else on the planet, got me pulling out my library card faster than you can say "Interlibrary loan requests? Damn you, Cleveland, and your superior library infrastructure! I curse ye! I CURSE YE!"

The first was pointed out by Conversational Reading and is for The Method Actors by Carl Shuker. "Fizzy dreams and fuzzy anxieties" you say? Are you sure we're not talking about some long-lost Curve b-sides? Either way, I'm there, no doubt.

The second review, for a reason or two, then snagged my attention and proceeded to throttle it. This one's for Fallen by David Maine. "Mining the book of Genesis for material" you say? Are you sure we're not talking about some long-lost Godspeed You! Black Emperor remixes? Either way, I'm there, no doubt; not to mention I'll probably pick up his first book, too (The Preservationist).

Then for bonus points, they talk about Kurt Vonnegut's new essay collection, A Man Without a Country. "A series of quirky, highly quotable, almost non-sequitorial thoughts" you say? Did you get a hold of the new Fiery Furnaces album before it came out? You bastard.

No comments: