Friday, September 02, 2005

I'd throw in an extra buck for Naughty Pynchon Reading Photos, except, not really, cuz, that'd just be weird

Just a quick note to say that I think this blog-based "mini-seminar" at The Valve on Philip Roth's The Plot Against America is a pretty sweet idea. I haven't read the book yet so I haven't dug into any of the posts yet, so I don't know how substantial or of what merit they are, but I definitely like the idea. (And this did motivate me to finally want to read the book sooner rather than later, so I've ordered a copy of the book from the good ol' Cleveland Public Library. My girlfriend and I, we agreed I wasn't allowed to buy any more books until I made a significant dent on what's already in the apartment; but we never said anything about ordering from the library! Score! Except, oh wait, this will just slow down my progress through the already-bought pile...aw, crud.) In any case, I think it's something I'd like to see more of, enough so that I've given some thought to adopting, bastardizing, and mutating the hell out of the idea myself. Though I probably won't. Lazy. (And yes, friend Chris, I'm looking at you, over there, mister "freely admitted to wanting to write a paper on dorky lit and philosophy stuff" man. Bad idea, or best idea ever?)

And in other news, if you dig contests, and really, who in their right mind doesn't enjoy contests, then take note: the Return of the Reluctant has extended the deadline for the Naughty Reading Photography Contest, and over at The Elegant Variation there's the "Kipen & Pynchon 4ever" contest. Check 'em.

No comments: