Tuesday, October 03, 2006

It's like I'm waiting by the phone for it to ring and half of me will answer it and the other half will be listening to the payphone tones in Nebraska

There are few things in this world I look forward to more than heading to the local indie theater to see a brand new David Lynch movie, so when I hear things like the fact that his latest effort, Inland Empire, does not yet have an American distributor (and hence, wide release date), I begin to cry tears, real tears that are, appropriately, both of and not of themselves, simultaneously and asynchronously. I don't exactly panic, yet, because I know there has to be someone wearing a fancy suit out there who knows that I am standing here with ten dollars and a smile that I am patiently (as patiently as possible) waiting to personally hand them for the privilege of letting Lynch bash my skull in with electrons and mysteries. And I know there must be people other than me, willing to make this same exchange. And what fancy-suited person doesn't enjoy receiving money? And smiles? In short, I trust. In essential universal rationality. And, in smile magic.

Here's a profile of David Lynch at the New York Times. In it, he talks about making the move to digital film recording, the process of creating Inland Empire, and how he doesn't much like talking about some things. We learn that "this may be his most avant-garde offering since 'Eraserhead'," which is sort of like a bullet landing in the gut of my aforementioned patience--not immediately lethal, but certainly likely to cause long-term annoyance. Also, we get some description of the movie itself, the most information about the film that I've yet seen, and despite my normal policy about avoiding reviews of those things I know I'm going to see/read/need, I'm pretty much okay with reading some things about the movie (as if my appetite needed further whetting) because I know that no information can possibly spoil the raw experience of actually seeing the movie itself.

All that, and the article reminds us of the perennial joy that is dropping by Lynch's website for a weather report. Straight from the man himself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dick Laurant is dead.