Tuesday, July 26, 2005

One statement, two takes

So Steve Wasserman--some guy, I guess--believes that "The best reading experience is to occupy your time with the worthy dead rather than the ambitious living."

H'mm.
  • Take One: Dan Green, at The Reading Experience, offers an interesting, well-considered deconstruction of Steve-O's statement, in defense of the notion that "The truth is pretty close to exactly the opposite of what Wasserman would have us believe." This sparks an interesting conversation I haven't fully processed yet, so I apologize if Take Two is a rehash of someone else's opinion.

  • Take Two: My own opinion is that Steve Wasserman must be some kind of doodieface to think something so silly. Read deeply, read broadly, my friends: read the dead, read the living; read girls and read boys; read the local and read the foreign; read every genre that crosses your path; read it all and read it often, all for no reason more complicated than, "Yeah, duh?"

No comments: