Tuesday, July 12, 2005

For Cleveland, a literary event; for everyone else, a reason to be jealous of us

I'm excited.

Why, you ask?

Because Maureen McHugh's short story collection, Mothers & Other Monsters, was recently released. The book has a really cool title. The book has a really cool cover. And, my hunch? The book's got really cool stories inside it, too.

Have I bought the book yet, you ask?

No, I haven't.

And, why not, you ask?

Because I plan picking up my copy next Tuesday, July 19, at 7:00 PM, when I'll be at Mac's Backs, which is where all the cool kids are going to be, because Maureen will be there, bringing on the "2005 I'm Not Dead Tour" practically to your doorstep as she reads from and signs the new book.

Okay, so, disclaimer (yes, I seem full of those tonight): I got a big huge kick in the creative writing ass from Maureen back in college, but that was a really long time ago now, so I hope you trust me when I say it's well beyond the point when I can expect to nudge up any grades through flattery. I've read most of her novels (I think I loaned the one I haven't read to someone and haven't seen it again since), and enjoyed all of them; I'd happily recommend Nekropolis to anyone interested in checking out her stuff. And I've been looking forward to getting a hold of a short story collection for a while now. (Okay, to be totally honest, maybe I'm hoping a little flattery now will mean that someday I'll get to sample her cooking again, because: yum. But food or no food, my statements stand!)

Maureen will be reading with another local writer, Sarah Willis, whose first novel, Some Things That Stay, came out in that long ago time when I was taking Maureen's classes. I think we spent much of a class period dissecting the opening paragraphs of that book. They were really good opening paragraphs. And the rest of the book was really good too. Then I turn around one day and a bunch of years have passed and Sarah Willis is on her fourth novel and I'm wondering how I missed numbers two and three. Seems I have some catching up to do.

From the Mac's Backs newsletter:
SARAH WILLIS & MAUREEN MCHUGH
Tuesday, July 19th at 7 p.m.

The Sound of Us (Berkley), novelist Sarah Willis' fourth book, is a nuanced and insightful look at foster parenting and racial relationships. Middle-aged and childless, interpreter Alice Marlowe answers a late night phone call that changes the direction of her life. Sarah Willis is a novelist who makes you think about family, friendship, community and society and The Sound of Us will keep you turning pages until the very end. Maureen McHugh's collection of short stories, Mothers and Other Monsters (Small Beer Press) is also out this summer. Maureen has won the prestigious Hugo and Locus awards for her short fiction and acclaim for four novels, including Nekropolis, a New York Times Notable book. This collection, featuring "aging parents, wayward children and nervous stepmothers are all brought to life with graceful restraint and delicacy." The two page story "Wicked" is a good way to sample the intelligent wit contained in all these stories. Join us at Mac's for this reading and booksigning.
So, you know: it's going to be an all around lit-rockin' good time. They're both excellent readers and great fun to listen to. So, you know. Show up, Cleveland. Support your awesome local literary treasures. And then, you know, thank me by buying me a beer. Or a Coke. Whatever.

No comments: