Monday, June 04, 2007

Wuss, self-aware

Fifty pages, versus bedtime: it's a too-familiar battle for us book nerds. Me, tonight, I'm choosing sleep over the end of Galatea 2.2, though not without serious reservations. Sure, I know I'm a wuss. But at least I know that I know that I'm a wuss.

In so far as knowledge of knowing can be known.

I'm generally digging the book, though I'm not absolutely in love with it. But I figure a book is doing something right when it can make me pencil myself questions like, "If you divorce religious belief from political motives, can you really blame Creationists for giving up and blaming God?" Of course, at other times, the book makes me want to ask questions like "Who cares?" Mixed bag, in other words. Thankfully, the bulk of my marginalia asterisks denote intellectual highway on-ramps to far-flung questions closer to the former's end of the spectrum. Good things await the curious.

No comments: