Monday, June 18, 2007

I'm guessing this means I'm not really the target audience

GoodReads.com (which I learned about via Galleycat) asks:

Have you ever wanted a better way to:
  • see what your friends are reading?
  • keep track of what you've read and what you'd like to read?
  • get great book recommendations from people you know?
  • make reading fun again?


I, in turn, ask:

You mean, other than by, like,
  • looking at their bookshelves?
  • looking at my own bookshelves?
  • talking to my friends?
  • actually, you know, sitting down in my reading chair, and, like, reading books?


Of course, I can still remember, back in the halcyon days of Web 1.2.0.4rc8 build 48, the day I deleted my Friendster and Orkut accounts: it was the day I realized that no amount of social networking was every going to make me less socially awkward.

3 comments:

Imani said...

I'm obsessed with other people's book shelves and it's soooo convenient to have an online catalogue, one which I can browse through at will. And I can never have too many book friends.

The whole "making reading fun again" thing is the odd one out.

Carrie said...

exactly. i'll certainly "friend" a friend but I feel no need to have yet another site about books that I will never update.

verbivore said...

Like Imani, I love seeing what other people are reading. But its no use if I can't talk to them about it and get an idea of the book itself...