Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Yeah, football. Right, right, sure

Ok--so you need to read more books written by women; but what to read? You're a modern, discerning, but partially clueless hipster, and the other boys on the football squad will totally kick your ass if they catch you "accidentally" reading chick-lit. Not to mention that you've recently grown re-addicted to Spoon's Gimme Fiction: "bringing about the apocalypse/is not considered/considered cool". Who to turn to for help? How to be lead through the dense halls of all that's being published right now while doing your part to push back the end of all things?

Enter the Grace Book Club, dedicated to recommending "three books a month by amazing women writers, and in our own little way help fend off the literary apocalypse, book by book by book". With a bonus book this month. The club's run by Elizabeth Merrick, whose novel Girly I still want to get my hands on--and, well, my eyes near, I guess being more important--once I dig my way out of a certain previously-mentioned coffee table literary disaster site. Oy.

No comments: