Sunday, January 15, 2006

David Lynch. He wears sweaters!

LynchNet has some stills, I guess, from the upcoming (this year? maybe? hopefully?) new David Lynch film, INLAND EMPIRE, which I guess is supposed to be capitalized, all of it, that way. It's hard to tell what you're looking at--there's no real context, though I'll say that image with the title in it sort of really freaks me out for reasons I can't even begin to identify--but these images do serve as a sort of proof of the fact that yes, David Lynch is indeed making a new movie, and that there is actual work done on it, and so we might get to see it, possibly even soon, possibly. The movie, if you know nothing about it, is--according the Lynch himself--"about a woman in trouble", I think, from what I remember when I did some research about it. Which, y'know, isn't saying much. But saying a Lynch movie is about a certain subject, really, is sort of like saying that getting smashed in the face with an axe is about pain. Your garden-variety "about"s go right out the window when you're talking about something that, uhm, you have to just experience.

So with a Darren Aronofsky sci-fi (?) epic (?) (The Fountain) due for release this year (?), and a new David Lynch film on the way, this year is set to be the biggest year for hipster artistic fervor ever. I am, you could say, excited. If David Foster Wallace were to this year release Infinte Jest 2: Smackin' Some Racket, I would pretty much completely lose my shit.

No comments: