Thursday, January 12, 2006

One year? Feels like only eleven months

So, today, January 12, marks the one-year anniversary of the existence of this blog.

Yeah, I don't know. I was going to do a big review or a best-of or just make some kind of big old brouhaha out of the whole thing but, eh, no. It's late and I'm tired. I was also going to do a big contest with presents and prizes and goodies and stuff, boxes of books and cakes and the like, but then I remembered I have virtually no industry insider connections and that I'm too lazy to develop such connections in order to get free stuff to give away, and so for me to give you stuff, I'd have to actually go buy it myself, with my own dollars, and...yeah, no offense, but, no. I got bills this little Internet hobby of mine ain't payin', let's just say.

So, I'm sorry I can't promise you free stuff, or at least the chance of free stuff, and due to the irrational (or quite rational, one would hate to think) fear of the low quality of one's blog's archives (there's got to be a word for that fear because I'm sure it's not unique to me--if no such term exists I'm now coining it as "fearchives" [as in "Thinking about my old blog posts, I got a mad case of the fearchives and stopped blogging for three weeks"], a term I expect to be the main reason for my fame once I'm dead and buried) I've not got the stomach to dig up enough old material to generate a best-of post (and I'd hate to bore you with a retrospective anyway), but what I'll say is this: this blog's been, for me, an interesting experience, and that I hope maybe you've found something interesting here along the way yourself, and that I'm looking forward to more interesting (both in terms of quantity and quality) experiences in the coming months. Or days or years. Who's counting, right?

Which all essentially cynicism-free heart-warming rambling really basically boils down to: thanks for reading. That's pretty cool of you. Maybe someday I'll get to buy you at least a beer or a Coke or something.

And, uh, hey, okay, yeah, now that you mention it, I have been reading David Foster Wallace again recently...why do you ask?

1 comment:

Erin O'Brien said...

I sort of wish you'd gone ahead with the cake.

I agree that you give good sidebar (and, oh, how I love a man that can do that). My favorite inclusion in said sidebar is, "This is a paragraph of text that could go in the sidebar."

Happy birthday, baby.

kisskiss.