Friday, March 18, 2005

Your flying CSS crane attack is impressive, but it is no match for my IE crouching tiger counter-attack

Having recently been handed reasons to learn as much about web design as I possibly can, I've been more willing of late to spend a few too many minutes past my bedtime fiddling around with the blog-look, you know, for research. Hence the new header up top. Which looks really gosh darned awesome right now in Firefox but looks like unholy crap in IE. Which, well, I'm sorry about. The easiest way to fix this is for everyone on the web to start using Firefox. The slower fix is for me to spend more time past bed time another night, figuring out where I went wrong. Until then, please, IE people, don't hate me. And download Firefox. Because it's cool.

Handy things used in the creation of the header include the Mandarin Design blog which offered up some code for something that looked cool which I then stole and butchered to match my own under-developed and flawed aesthetic, and really there's just more tips & tricks over there than you can shake your CSS stick at, and the VisiBone Color Lab which lets even an uncoordinated hack like me pull some colors together that don't look completely awkward when held up together side by side.

The background image to the left is kind of temporary. I wanted to see if it could be done. It can be. Now I have to figure out if there's actually something worth putting over there, for real. I was thinking of manipulating the Cleveland image to the right into something more wickedly cool that might work in the background. But that sounds like a lot of work and I have no real skills, so.

Oh, and, uh, yeah. I, uh, took tonight off, from the story. Which is okay because I worked on it for the preceding 8 days straight. And I'll probably log another 12 hour s on it over the weekend. And I really, really wanted that 2.5 hour nap I took tonight. Oh, unholy good, naptime.

No comments: