Saturday, March 05, 2005

The links, oh god, they're everywhere

Just a note here about the new extended Advanced Link Technology sidebar to the right. I became a pretty big advocate of del.icio.us shortly after I started using it. I was never one for bookmarks before I started using it. Mostly I just knew the handful of websites I'd visit on a regular basis, and what with browser upgrades and things going wrong sometimes and having to import bookmarks and all that jazz, it never made sense to much use the bookmark function on my desktop browsers. But, now, as someone who occasionally uses different computers to check the web, as someone who might occasionally see a longer article which I don't have the time to read the moment I find it, and as someone who has come to want to get something out of the web other than amusing flash animations and links to so-called hilarious news stories about crap, del.icio.us was like a revolution of the mind in which nobody died and instead of weapons everyone used candy, oh sweet candy. (1) Del.icio.us, by allowing me to post links to my account on the fly which are then listed in browser toolbar bookmark folders wherever I put them, is one of two fundamental technologies that have changed the way I use the web for the better, the second being tabbed browsing, thanks to Firefox. This article/post/whatever does a much better job than I can or have of explaning how cool del.icio.us is, plus it goes into some of the step-by-steps of how to actually use it to get something out of it, so you should probably go there and read it and then come back and read the next paragraph of this post, much as if that entire page were just one big footnote to this post.

Thanks for coming back! So, then, somewhere in my travels, in my readings of other sites which make use of "blog rolls" and stuff like that, I found that I have a nice neat way of including such an active/live list of links in my sidebar, without having to sign up for another online linking service, thanks to del.icio.us. Every del.icio.us page can be tapped via RSS feeds, which I don't really understand but since they've let me do cool things so far, I'm all for them. RSS Digest, though not designed specifically for del.icio.us but it works pretty damn well for it, allows you to use the RSS feeds that del.icio.us spits out so that you can put those links, you know, elsewhere. Hence why now if you scroll down a bit you can find a couple lists of links that are stripped out of my del.icio.us page. Right now I think I have blogs, litblogs, and articles there; for the first two I can have up to 100 links in either of those categories, so I ought to be good to go for a while, and the articles feed will always list the last 15 article links I've posted to del.icio.us. And what's great is those will be updated by RSS Digest every couple hours or something like that, so I think if you just sit here and hit refresh on TDAOC for 24 straight hours, not only will you cause my web server to wonder what the hell you're doing, you also might get a fresh link or two to an article that I found interesting enough to save both for later and for you. How exciting! (2)

No comments: