Sunday, April 27, 2008

Carolyn Kellogg interviews Steve Erickson. Snip:

When I was 25, during one scorching summer when I was house-sitting for a buddy, I read Emily Bronte's "Wuthering Heights." Dostoevsky is considered the first "modern" writer, but I vote to Emily -- one of the most subversive novels ever made, with a sexually obsessed main character whose object of desire is a dead woman, an utterly unreliable narrator, a structure built on a psychological interior that shifts like a house with moving walls. I had fever dreams that whole month.


Which may be true but not even Erickson can make me want to re-read Wuthering Heights, though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But he makes it sound just like House of Leaves!

Darby M. Dixon III said...

On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, not so much.