Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Might not be time for me to fill in that small gap between Neuromancer and Pattern Recognition

Matt bounced this Lev Grossman bit my way about Spook Country. While Grossman liked the book, he does lightly complain of "a certain undeniable sameness" to Gibson's books. I doubt that's going to concern me much. Since I haven't read most of them. And in any case, I think I'm with Norm on this one: "I am really excited about the new one, because PR was effin' dynamite."

And I'll still read the rest of his stuff. Eventually. After I finish the Summer of Dostoevsky '06 project. Right.

Not that it's even close to being all Gibson all the time here at TDAOC HQ, the way my recent posting habits might suggest. I'm in the middle of Dana Spiotta's Eat the Document (with the far superior paperback cover). It's cool. It's good. I'm cool with it.

But.

Do you sometimes think, when you're reading a book, "I like this well enough, but ___________, this person I know in some fashion, would like it so much more than I do"? That's about where I am. Not let down, just not brought up as much as I'd have perhaps hoped.

(Vague, I know, but it's late, and it's Tuesday, and I'm already totally blowing my "I'm going to sleep this week!" resolution. Sigh. All I'm saying is: folks, if you're in control of the finances for some major corporation, and you've been thinking about throwing a couple million sponsorship dollars my blog's way? Now's the time to start writing that check. I have no conscience about such matters.)

1 comment:

Norm said...

I'll admit I do have that "I think that someone else would like this book more than I" feeling; and I am usually wrong.

I feel compelled to point out the contradiction in Grossman's review. He mildly objects to a certain sameness in Gibson's novels, yet then goes on to demand "just one little cortex bomb. A tissue graft. Throw me a distorted, polymer-enhanced, vat-grown bone here." Well young feller, which is it gonna be? Can't rightly freeze, and git on the ground as well. (okay then)