Friday, August 17, 2007

"Be careful what you're wishing"

So then, there it is: I'm sitting in my muggy apartment and I've got chills.

I've been reading short stories with reckless abandon (read as: short things are all I can seem to focus on) and so it seems a good time to give Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson a shot, right? Because everybody and everybody else is all "Ooo Jesus' Son! Ooo ooo!" all the time, but I've put it off because a couple years ago I read one of his novels, The Name of the World, and I was less than impressed. But curiosity and repeated endorsements got to me, and I picked up a copy of Jesus' Son, and I just read the opening story, "Car Crash While Hitchhiking," and, well: I was okay with it until I read the closing paragraph. Then, chills. The shock of seeing something unfamiliar, and knowing it completely.

If I follow the good advice, I won't read this book non-stop tonight. But: temptation.

1 comment:

mary grimm said...

He is definitely a chill-producing writer.