Sunday, June 05, 2005

Nothing to see here, really

When I wanted to say, "Hello, world," I learned HTML.

When I wanted to say it with bright shiny colors, I learned CSS.

Now I guess I want to learn to say it with WordPress, for no reason at all. That, it seems, requires learning PHP (because, when it comes to default templates--I quote Wil Smith: "Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww HELL no).

I guess in theory when I feel confident enough with the new set up to make the switch, it should--in theory?--be seamless. As in, when you come here one day, it will be the Blogger set up, and when you come here the next, it will be the WordPress set-up, and all the links and pages and feeds and such should be right where they were originally. Right? Or am I hoping for too much? I'm sure I'm hoping for too much. Bugger.

So if anyone out there has any "If I knew then what I know now" stories about designing a template for WordPress, feel free to let me know. It won't happen anytime soon, of course. There will have to be a weird sort of alignment between me having free time and me feeling motivated enough to learn complex tasks for this to get done. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy learning complex tasks, I mean, you don't just start dicking around with CSS because, you know, you've got absolutely nothing better in your life to do at that time (and, if that's how you learned CSS, I apologize, and beg forgiveness, I do not mean to offend). I dig the process of learning how to make stuff happen (even if actual execution might be sort of a personal downfall). That and, I guess it's marketable skill. Whatever.

Point being--if everything just completely falls apart here at some point, it's a site redevelopment thing, and if you stick with me, things will be okay again eventually. (If you're really bored, you might click on this link now and then to see if I've made any progress on a new layout/design. I wouldn't click it any time soon, though, with high expectations.)

-

Update: After reading several pages worth of googling, I've realized the whole "seamless" importing task might be...scary. Well, not scary. Scarier than I care to deal with. So I might just do a new blog, import all this stuff into it, and leave this blog here with huge notes at the top that say, "Hey, go, over there, for the fresh stuff." Maybe. I dunno. I'm thinking outloud (outblog?) here. I've been thinking of re-naming the blog anyways. As much as I like the title, I'm afraid there's probably a better title I should be using. Fresh layout, fresh title...jeez, I hope I don't get this antsy every six months.

2 comments:

Gwenda said...

Please post about your WordPress trevails. I'm getting ready to try the same thing and am mostly worried about _not_ being able to transfer all the old posts. However, I have seen it done, so it is possible.

Darby M. Dixon III said...

Will do! I'm sure it's all possible...it's just a question of how much work goes into automating some things, how much work goes into doing the rest by hand, and how much of all that work I'm willing to do (or so I theorize).