Monday, April 06, 2009

There's a new story from Stephen Dixon up at Urbanite. It's called "Mr. Greene" and it appears to be many normal-people sized paragraphs instead of one Stephen Dixon sized paragraph. If I doubted I was going to read it sometime shortly after I finish this post, the opening paragraph would have put those doubts in a pipe and smoked them:

It was a beautiful day, clear and dry, the orchards soaked by the early-morning downpour and smelling of fallen fruit and fresh buds. Life fantastic, I thought, when something hard was shoved into my back and a voice said don’t turn around.


Also, looks like new book-format material is on the way:

Stephen Dixon has published twenty-seven books of fiction, fourteen novels, and thirteen collections of short stories. His next, a three-volume story collection called What Is All This?, is forthcoming from Fantagraphics Books.


Granted I still haven't read Meyer (though I will) nor have I read like 90 percent of what he's published, but, you know, still: exciting!

2 comments:

Matt said...

Sure is, dawg. (Exciting.) Meyer sucked, but no matter.

Did you see the Collected Stories of Lydia Davis news? Seven Hundred And Fifty Two Pages. Ohboyohboy

Darby M. Dixon III said...

I remember you saying that. Which is I think why I want to read it. To see if it was bad or if it was a situational burnout thing. (I've been there.)

I hadn't seen that news. Though I think I wasn't excited by what of hers I'd read. Maybe I'll have to look back into her.