Monday, October 17, 2005

Hand me my cocaine, I'm goin' through

Via pretty much every lit-related blog on the planet comes The TIME magazine list of the top 100 novels written since 1923. The Elegant Variation notes that the mag avoids "making sticky judgment calls by listing them alphabetically", which is a good idea, because seriously, Woolf vs. Nabokov? Rushdie vs. Ishiguro? Hells no. Like Conversational Reading, I do wonder about the selection of Never Let Me Go over Remains of the Day (and I haven't even read RotD yet) but I ain't complaining so long as my man Ishiguro gets to represent; unlike Conversational Reading I'm not wondering about the selection of White Noise over Underworld because White Noise was awesome and Underworld wasn't very awesome after the opening section, which was indeed very very awesome, but not so awesome as to make me read the entire book. Someday. Miss Snark sent me snarkily snark snarking--er, I mean, counting off what I'd read on the list. I hit 25, which would be higher if I were allowed to count books my girlfriend has read but I haven't. Or at least we'd get to count Infinite Jest twice. Hipster couple attack!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oy. I won't even mention how many (few) of those I have read, but it's far less than your 25. I have, however, read Are You There God, It's Me Margaret about 10 times, so does that count? Or, can I count books I've started, but never finished as 1/2 a book? I'll let you count your girlfriend's list if you say yes...

Darby M. Dixon III said...

It's totally a deal.