Thursday, May 22, 2008

Oh, and just out of curiosity, can someone who has read the books more recently than I have confirm for me that Narnia isn't really like the movies are making it out to be? Because I think about all the trailers for Caspian have done for me and some of my friends is they've made us want to crawl back inside the books and forget the movies exist.* Though maybe that's also because, with nostalgia, comes the crushing realization that adulthood means living in a world that sort of blows, at least lately. I don't know. Maybe I'll revisit the wardrobe after I finish Omega Minor. Or maybe I'll forge ahead with trying to make some good come of my media-buying hiatus** by trying to get the TBR pile down under a couple feet. Dreams.

--

* - Yes, that syntax is as tortured as you believe it to be. It's late.

** - Yes, I've had to make myself stop buying books, but also video games, realizing as I do that if you can measure play-hours against spine-feet, my Wii To Be Played pile is about as tall as my Books To Be Read pile. Unprovoked rant: It's a golden age for fans of video games, not just because the quality is so high, but the variety of available experiences is stellar, and, oh yeah, the world blows right now, which I think is what translates directly into the video game industry's current growth. People gotta escape, sometimes. There's something there that literature does not provide.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to know about the Narnia stuff as well. My elder daughter was exposed to the first movie, and is interested in the books... but I've never read them. (I was a Prydain guy.)

Anonymous said...

You would be right. The first movie wasn't too far off the mark but the Caspian film veers thematically off course adding extra battles, changing major plot points and basically adding up to be a poor man's last choice LOTR.

Darby M. Dixon III said...

The books were good, I thought. Though I do wonder how much of that comes from being exposed to them as a youngster. It would, I imagine, be particularly tough to come back through to them after seeing the movies.