Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Where we're going, we don't need purpose

Camera one. From Stephen King's The Paris Review interview:

INTERVIEWER



Cujo is unusual in that the entire novel is a single chapter. Did you plan that from the start?

KING



No, Cujo was a standard novel in chapters when it was created. But I can remember thinking that I wanted the book to feel like a brick that was heaved through your window at you. I've always thought that the sort of book that I do--and I've got enough ego to think that every novelist should do this--should be a kind of personal assault. It out to be somebody lunging right across the table and grabbing you and messing you up. It should get in your face. It should upset you, disturb you. And not just because you get grossed out.


Camera two. From The Einstein Intersection, by Samuel R. Delany:

There is a hollow, holey cylinder running from hilt to point in my machete. When I blow across the mouthpiece in the handle, I make music with my blade. When all the holes are covered, the sound is sad--as rough as rough can be and be called smooth. When all the holes are open, the sound pipes about, bringing to the eye flakes of sun on water, crushed metal. There are twenty holes. And since I've been playing music I've been called all different kinds of fool--more times than Lobey, which is my name.

No comments: