Thursday, March 20, 2008

But no Infinite Jest?

In this PDF, the American Book Review gives away the ending of 100 novels. OMG! Spoiler alert!

But for real, I was glad to see the last line of Graham Greene's The Quiet American on there. I just read the book this week. OohMuhGuh. How is it I'm just now discovering Greene? I'd give up an arm to write like that.

So yeah, seems like I've got a new author to obsess over. There's a copy of the collected short stories coming my way next week...along with a certain something else for which I've long waited..

2 comments:

Norm said...

I'd bet it's because Graham Greene has been pigeonholed into the Fleming/LeCarré dustbin of pop spy fiction. So amazingly wrong.

I will confess I got into Greene after reading The Tailor of Panama which was pretty good, but such an (acknowledged) ripoff of Our Man In Havana that I was kind of shocked.

Anonymous said...

This guy I'm reading now Shusaku Endo is compared to Greene... who I had never heard of before I read that he was compared to him. So I'll have to check him out next.