Thursday, January 24, 2008

Awesomer and awesomer

So a while back I read Paradise and I loved it and then a bit later I read Original Bliss and I loved it and now I'm 57-ish pages into Day and I'm loving it. Which facts lead me to conclude that it's entirely possible that A. L. Kennedy totally fucking rules. I'm pretty sure there's more genuine music in a single page of her prose than there is right now on your FM dial.

Seems I'm not the only one who believes so, as Day just won the 2007 Costa Book of the Year award.

See also: "Could it be that ambition and seriousness are - just occasionally - a real source of reading pleasure?" (Via.)

Also worth noting? A. L. Kennedy is not a homicidal maniac.

3 comments:

Maureen McHugh said...

Nobody ever thinks I'm a homicidal maniac. Nor, as far as I can tell, does anybody think you are a homicidal maniac. Of course, including origami pandas in your posts is likely to get you pegged as 'Not a homicidal maniac and probably mostly harmless.'

It would be nice if someone thought i was a homicidal maniac, though.

Anonymous said...

I can also confirm that she's not a homicidal maniac.

Darby M. Dixon III said...

McQ: Next time I make a reading, you can toss an axe at me, and I'll call you a maniac. It'll be awesome.

Ed: Foreshadowing?

*checks internet*

Actually. No. Nowshadowing.