Thursday, December 28, 2006

And as for yours truly...

...I've hit the end-of-the-year head-dead point where I just had to look up whether the "yours" in "yours truly" comes with an apostrophe or not. If that's not a sign that my net silence of late is a justifiable one, I'm not sure what would be.

It wasn't supposed to be this way. I had all sorts of fun stuff planned: lists, book talk, gender studies, piles of statistics, a week long year-in-review devoted to some music that made the critics' lists (Band of Horses? Seriously? What the hell are you people thinking?) and some music that didn't make the lists (the fact that Stereolab's Fab Four Suture received zero love in the year-end round-ups is a sign of the impending apocalypse). Then the thing happened with my hosting provider going "fwhoop"; took my get-go with it, I guess.

I'm still mired in Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, which is fine. On average, I am currently neither actively enjoying it nor actively despising it. My heart's not especially in it, except when it is, and then yes, my heart is really in it. (Daniel Waterhouse telling off what's his face near the end of Quicksilver is, I suspect, one of the single most bad-ass moments in the history of historical fiction.) I think often of quitting and moving on to other things, but then I think it's better to stick where I am for a while, because, eh, there isn't anywhere else I particularly feel like I necessarily need to be right now. Better to bleed out the humours via hard philosophick inquiry right now, I suppose.

Sometime before the year's over I do feel have an OCD responsibility to post the final volume of the reading list round-up. (Hint: I stayed up late Christmas Eve finishing Quicksilver. So yay: 75 books.) I'm sure there's one or two other things that need to be accomplished before the NYE revelry and debauchery commences. If I can remember what those things are, that is.

3 comments:

Maureen McHugh said...

I stalled fast and early in the Baroque Cycle. I was so unhappy to be introduced to a boy who happens to be Ben Franklin but we withhold that information for pages, and then introduced to an un-named boy who turns out to be Isaac Newton. I don't like that particular technique. I don't know why except it seems hokey. And although I kept reading, it just wasn't cool in the way Cryptonomicon or Diamond Age were.

Barking Kitten said...

Geek Love is one the great undersong books out there. So incredibly weird, but it works.

Anonymous said...

I really like the book. Especially 'the System of the World'. The ending was really, really cool.