Saturday, September 23, 2006

Happy Birthday, Dmitri Shostakovich

I'm ashamed to admit that though I've read William T. Vollmann's Europe Central, I've yet to track down good recordings of Dmitri Shostakovich's work. (What, you think it's all lame Squarepusher jokes musicwise up in this joint? Naw, man; I got, like, class, and stuff. Or at least, I used to go to some classes a long time ago.)

Monday marks Shostakovich's 100th birthday. AllMusic--also known as "AllYourTimeJustWentDownTheDrain"--notes the occasion, and has posted some 30 second samples of his music. Not quite going to cut it as far as really experiencing the music goes, but it's a nice reminder that I still need to find his stuff for real.

2 comments:

Gina Ventre said...

Amazon has the Bernstein recordings of Shostakovich 1,5,7, and 9.

I have the Rostropovich recording of 5 with the London Symphony and it's great.

Darby M. Dixon III said...

Gina--I'll have to check those out. Thanks!