Sunday, May 15, 2005

And as long as I'm still in my linking-like-mad mood

The LitBlog Co-Op has posted their first Read This! selection. Here's the post recommending the book and here's a post about some of the fun stuff that's going to be happening soon. (And in keeping with my previous post, those are both linked to from my del.icio.us "suggested reading" page.)

It will be interesting to see what happens next and to see how much of a dent this sort of thing will put into the sales-figures and reading-figures. IE, now that that hype's built up to a suggested book, will people--lots of people--read that book? Will that book gain an increased following outside of the lit-blog-o-sphere? I know I plan to read the book, since I promised myself I'd read whatever book they suggested (with some exceptions too not worth going into here), and, you know, if I dig it, I'll tell other people to read it. IE, how much will this first big push turn into extended word-of-mouth marketing? Etc etc. Time will tell. I shall remain optimistic. As a child of the electro-age and as a writer-hopeful, it's exactly the sort of thing I'd love to see work (both in and of itself, and also work for me someday). Because if I've learned anything in my net readings of late, it's that things as they are right now aren't necessarily working as well as we'd all like them to, right now, and it's good to see new things being tried.

No comments: