Monday, June 01, 2009

This morning, courtesy of the folks at Knopf, I received a copy of the new Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie short story collection, The Thing Around Your Neck. I then promptly fast-forwarded through the morning to my lunch hour so I could read the first story, "Cell One." It is, to say the least, nice to know Adichie remains as emotionally potent in the short form as she does in the long form (see also: my reaction to Half of a Yellow Sun; also see, on an unrelated note, but one I'm reminded of by looking at that post, the newly revealed 2010 release of a Scarlett Thomas novel--what was it I was saying about 2010?) This is one I'll be carrying around with me for a while. Worth considering. (At least, you know, based on one story. I'm assuming she doesn't fill the rest of the book with bad fan fiction or anything.)

2 comments:

Pam Cortland said...

Hmm, there's an idea. Maybe to cut down on costs, Knopf could commission single stories or chapters, and I'll just fill the rest of the books with descriptions of my lunchtime sandwiches. Something to bring to tomorrow's marketing meeting! (P.S. Glad you're liking the book so far)

Darby M. Dixon III said...

Perfect! If, uh, you're looking for someone to write up a, uh, pilot story for the program...let me know. Though my lunches tend to be dull.