Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Oh god, god, no, please, no, just, no: "Mark Romanek to Adapt Never Let Me Go"

Mark Romanek has signed on to direct a big screen adaptation of Kazuo Ishiguro’s novel Never Let Me Go. According to Production Weekly, Beach author and 28 Days Later/Sunshine screenwriter Alex Garland penned the adaptation.

Romanek is probably best known for his music video work. He directed the video for Michael and Janet Jackson’s "Scream" in 1995, a sci-fi themed video which won the 1996 Grammy for Best Music Video, and to date, is still the most expensive music video ever produced ($7 million). His other videos include Closer for Nine Inch Nails, Criminal for Fiona Apple, Devil's Haircut for Beck, and Johnny Cash’s cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt".


Seriously? God. Just, fuck, what? I think I might vomit a little. Or a lot. Because at absolutely no point in this life have I thought, "You know what one of my favorite novels of all time needs? Some rotating pigs' heads, zombies, bondage gear, and a manorexic Cillian Murphy."

Seriously, the holidays are coming up, and if you make it your gift to me to make this not happen and in fact to go back in time and erase the moment from my brain when I realized it could happen, I will thank you for the rest of forever and then some. Please. With begging.

3 comments:

Cari said...

I will try and find out who has you for secret santa and make this happen, Darby!

But actually, Sunshine was a pretty impressive movie. Maybe this won't be all bad. :/

Marc said...

Romanek also did One Hour Photo, which was good too. But I don't think it's going to bring a new slant to the book. I think Alex Garland's screenwriting is a bit pedestrian and he only really lets loose in novels/shorts. That's my 2 yen worth anyway.

rmellis said...

Okay, that's one of my favorite novels, too, but no one I rec it to likes it.

I'd rather it not be a movie at all -- it's better for not being too concrete.