Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Janice Galloway has fabulous shoes on. You notice them immediately. She's ensconced, regal and sleek, in the rather grotesque grandeur of the private drawing room in Edinburgh's Scotsman Hotel. The fabulous shoes are slender black patent stiletto heels with a Westwood-y hint of tartan at the toe and a tiny bow. She notices and compliments my shoes. I compliment hers back.

One of the country's most important contemporary writers has published the first volume of her memoirs; an extraordinarily detailed, beautiful book, and I'm getting gooey over her footwear. It's not as facile as it seems though. This is Not About Me, which traces Galloway's life from birth to 11 and centres on her early relationship with her mother and much older sister, is a book about women, about watching women, and about learning to become a woman.


Okay, fine, you got me: I only keep pointing it out because I really want to be Janice Galloway's footwear. Like...the kind she wears on her feet. What can I say? I am a whore for attention.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, well, I clicked on the link and noticed there are NO pictures of her shoes. I'm disappointed.

-Cari