Thursday, June 01, 2006

I tell you, kids these days

Over on LiveJournal, there's a thread going about books that cause the reader to lose the will to live. And not in the "Wow, The Trick is to Keep Breathing is so depressing, and somehow that is the most awesome thing ever" sort of way, but in the "Oh my god, this romance novel makes me want to shoot nailguns at my eyes" way.

Which is all fine and whatever except my informal review of the comments shows that The Catcher in the Rye is the number one most hated book amongst those who commented. Now, don't let me mislead you into believing that I'm a Salinger fanatic. But isn't it reading the book sometime in your teens and falling in love with it sort of a prerequisite to being truly alive? Or am I totally off base on this one?

Also, the fact that there's votes against On the Road makes me want to beat someone. I mean...really. And just now I was going to go find something I agreed with and saw the vote against Kazuo Ishiguro and I got so mad I exploded my computer with my brain, so, no agreement tonight.

1 comment:

Arethusa said...

Is it ok to admit I haven't read any of the books in the main post (yet)? That being said I can't recall ever reading a depressing book and faulting it for being so...

Oh holy crap. Someone listed "Wuthering Heights". And "P&P". and HOMER??? THE ODYSSEY?? Holy...

omg DUBLINERS. MY FAVOURITE HEMINGWAY??? WHAT THE--I HAVE A HEADACHE. I'm not reading this list anymore. Shame on you for linking to it. (I'm only half-kidding.)

I'm going to buy "Catcher in the Rye" this weekend though. I haven't felt suicidal recently.