Tuesday, August 16, 2005

I kinda gave away the answer there, huh

For your reading enjoyment: an article on Indian writers writing in English, and an article on the rock novel. Bonus points if you can name the book that qualifies in both categories of literature, and no it's not High Fidelity. (Hint: it's called The Ground Beneath Her Feet and it's by Salman Rushdie and it's been moved from my second-tier to be read shelf to my first-tier to be read coffee table pile.) Interesting stuff.

(Reading Dan Chaon's You Remind Me of Me reminded me of Arundhati Roy's The God of Small Things, and while I can think of one very clear parallel between the two books, in terms of structure, I'd be lying if I said I'd read Roy's book recently enough to draw further comparisons between the two; let's just say that The God of Small Things will probably be moved from the depths of the already read shelves to one or other of the to be read piles, and then maybe someday I'll make the grand pronouncements my feeble snap-judgments are making me want to make.)

No comments: