Thursday, December 06, 2007

Speaking of France...

...there's a very long, very popular French book us non-polyglot English-speaking types might not be reading any time soon because the author has demanded a new translator.

Somehow? If I ever get anything published? Being able to make demands about translators isn't a position I expect I'll ever find myself in. If the translator wants to just grab some old crappy book off his or her shelf, slap the new title on it, and call it a translation? S'cool with me, so long as I get my check.

(On the off-hand chance you're wondering: yes, that was an Aphex Twin/Jesus Jones reference.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard about this. But I don't see why he doesn't just translate it himself..as I understand it, English is his first language.

I suppose winning the Goncourt makes you a bit choosy.