Monday, January 30, 2006

I also hear they want me to learn how to friggin' cook already, but I don't want to push it too much for one day

If there's anything I've learned in my time on this over-caffeinated wet ball of a planet, it's that your cardinal rule of blogging is also your cardinal rule of life: Give the Ladies What the Ladies Want. And right now, what the ladies want is a hot interview with poet/novelist/S4N Books co-founder Tim Miller and a sneak preview of his current epic poem and work-in-progress, To the House of the Sun. Paul M. Jessup's got the hook-up:

I read about a contemporary writer, a guy who won a Pulitzer a few years ago, who said he was actually worried that novels had to compete with television and paint ball. I read another thing where a professor said Eliot's Waste Land was only an "artifact of language." I don't understand either stance. Other people can treat books the same as hamburgers or reality TV, and other people can dissect literature and try to make a science out of it, people can treat these things as something to study rather than experience, but I would hope the writers could continue to see the soul in what they're doing. It's really a sacred and holy thing.


Head this-a-way for more-a-that.

No comments: